Peepoople was formed to develop, produce and distribute the Peepoo. The mission of Peepoople is that all people who so desire shall have access to dignified and hygienic sanitation. Peepoople AB was founded in 2006 and is based in Stockholm, Sweden. Peepoople’s long-term goal is to provide 150 million people daily with sanitation.
Peepoople will build a network of organisations that work under the Peepoople brand and strive towards the same goal. Peepoople currently consists of: Peepoople AB in Stockholm, Sweden and Peepoople Kenya in Nairobi, Kenya.
You can find out more about our values and vision here.
Peepoople has come a long way since it started back in 2005, something that we are all very proud of. The founders are Anders Wilhelmson and Camilla Wirseen. Part of the founding team is also Dr. Annika Nordin, Dr. Björn Vinnerås, Prof. Mikael Hedenqvist and Peter Thuvander.
Professor Anders Wilhelmson initiated the Peepoo concept in 2005. The research has been conducted in cooperation with SLU Swedish University of Agricultural Science and KTH Royal Institute of Technology. The graphic design concept has been developed together with Lowe Brindfors.
Peepoople is committed to help solve the global sanitation crisis. In 2010 Professor Anders Wilhelmson was selected as the first Swedish Ashoka Fellow for Peepoople. Ashoka: Innovators for the Public is a global nonprofit organisation supporting the field of social entrepreneurship. Read more at the Ashoka website.
– Peepoo concept was invented by Anders Wilhelmson
– Camilla Wirseen and Peter Thuvander forms the first project team
– Extensive research was conducted by the Peepoople research team at SLU & KTH: Björn Vinnerås, Annika Nordin, Michael Hedenqvist
– December Peepoople AB was founded by Anders Wilhelmson, Björn Vinnerås, Annika Nordin, Michael Hedenqvist
– The research on the hygenisitation was finalised
– The Peepoo design was finalised
– Ergonomical design validations in Kibera, Nairobi
– Peepoo Toilet Patent granted
– Fieldtests in Kibera, Nairobi
– Fieldtest in Mymensingh, Bangladesh with GTZ
– Field test in Bihar, India
– First round of external financing
– Karin Ruiz, was recruited as CEO
– Prof. Anders Wilhelmson was selected the first Ashoka Fellow in Sweden
– Pre-study of High-Speed Peepoo Machine
– Development of Peepoople Business Model for Urban Slums
– Field test following the earthquake in Haiti with Oxfam GB
– Start-up of small-scale semi-manual production in Kenya in cooperation with Ekotech
– Establishment of Peepoople Kenya
– Peepoo Launch in Kibera Slum, Nairobi, Kenya
– Second round of external financing
– Third round of external financing for securing procurement of high-speed Peepoo machine
– Financing for first urban slum launch project in Kibera secured from Simavi and Vinnova.
– Recruitment of Fredrik Adilstam, Head of Production and Procurement
– Development of Peepoople Humanitarian Response Model
– Demonstration and testing of Peepoo solution in emergencies and urban slums in Pakistan, New Zealand, South Africa and Haiti with UN-HABITAT, Oxfam Novib and IRC.
– Ordering of high-speed Peepoo machine to be in production 2013.
– Demonstration and testing of Peepoo solution in the refugee camp Dadaab, Kenya.
– Emergency response for floodings in Kisumu, Kenya and the Sindh province, Pakistan.
Peepoople AB is located in Stockholm, Sweden. Peepoople AB steers Peepoople globally and is responsible for the development and production of the Peepoo solution and system. Peepoople AB is a private limited company with a mission to provide universal access to hygienic and dignified sanitation and with a long-term goal to reach out to 150 million people daily. Being a for-profit organisation is necessary for our expansion in order to fulfil our mission. When our founder, Anders Wilhelmson, became an Ashoka Fellow, Peepoople committed to reinvest future profits to support its endeavour and social mission.
Peepoople is owned by STING and private families and individuals from Sweden, The Netherlands and The United States.
CEO: Anders Pihl
Board of Directors:
Björn Algkvist, Chairman of the Board
In June 2010 we registered Peepoople Kenya as an NGO in Kenya. Peepoople Kenya is the legal entity base for the ILP Nairobi, our first urban slum launch project in Kibera, and other Peepoople projects in Kenya. The office is located in Olimpic in Kibera Nairobi.
General Manager: Arnold Omondi
Board of Directors:
Chairman: Professor Eric Odada, United Nations Secretary-General‘s Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation, Professor University of Nairobi
Said about Peepoople
Prof. Eric Odada, Member of United Nations Secretary-General‘s Advisory Board on Water and Sanitation.
”The Peepoo is the ideal system, the ideal product for the biggest problem facing the world”
G. Hutton, L. Haller, J. Bartram, WHO, 2007
“The average economic benefit of a USD 1 investment in sanitation is USD 9.1. It is USD 4.4 on water.”
Kamran Naeem, Manager Basic Services, UN-Habitat Pakistan
“Peepoo … can save tremendous amount of Humanitarian Assistance which is lost in construction and decommissioning of emergency latrines.”
Ashley Wheaton Consultant for GTZ-Bangladesh and Alexander Jachnow, Principal Advisor Good Urban Governance, Bangladesh
“…/T/here was a clear indication that the great majority of the participants felt satisfied with using the (Peepoo). (Women) are better served by a solution that gives them the ability to go to the toilet in the privacy of their own home.”
Annastaciah, 26 years old, Kibera, Kenya
“It is nice having them when you go to the latrine they have overflowed and you feel uncomfortable.”
Taijul Islam , 27 years old, Mymensingh, Bangladesh
“It is beautiful, clean and free from bad smell”
Prof. Elijah K. Biamah, Environmental and Water Systems Engineer, Nairobi Kenya
“Certainly the future of Peepoo bags usage worldwide is very bright. Thus the journey to improved sanitation in the slum villages of the world has just begun.”